Thursday, March 13, 2008

GHSGT is Unfair

I think the GHSGT is unfair to students that speak English as a second language. How can we expect them to take a science test with words like: biome, biosphere, cytoplasm, ect...? Students that barely have English conquered will have a very difficult time passing the GHSGT and Kathy Cox knows this. So what are their options? Drop out of school or keep taking the test well into their twenties? Many Hispanic students have aspirations of going to college and the GHSGT is preventing this.

1 comment:

Cheryl Moore said...

I agree with you! I worked at a school in Texas as a substitute who focused on students from different countries who spoke other than English.

These students were provided English Textbooks to learn from. They also had dictionaries for each language.

It was amazing, but this school had a system to convert these students to the English language and to do so they were not allowed to practice their own at this particular academy only to translate.

The children were exceptionally bright and there were few behavior problems and the classroom periods lasted two hours instead of one.